Diy Dream Catchers Made by Kids

Diy Dream Catchers Made by Kids


I am so excited to finally get up this post!! We left these fantasy catchers during art camp in July and the children were into it. It was a really active 3 hours. I was SO proud of what they realized entirely by themselves!

SUPPLIES NEEDED TO MAKE DREAMCATCHERS:

  • ~ wooden embroidery hoop
  • ~ washi tape
  • ~ yarn
  • ~ felt (small piece)
  • ~ polyester batting (a very small amount)
  • ~ needle and thread
  • ~ beads (we used pony beads and wooden beads)
  • ~ pom-pom manufacturer (optional)
  • ~ paper pinwheels created from sulphite paper (directions here -- we created them 4″ diameter)
  • ~ watercolors
  • ~ bit of cable for hanging (silver or coloured )

1. The children began by covering their hoop using small parts of washi tape. They could tear the tape or use modest scissors. Anything goes!

2. They picked two coloured yarns and wrapped them around the hoop. I really don't have pictures of the part because I had been helping them begin. As soon as they got the hang of it, it just took a couple of minutes to allow them to wrap the two yarns closely. (If the children wrap too loosely afterward the yarn will slip. Make sure it's tight, and should not then tug it a bit in places. You might also use a dab of hot glue gun if needed.)

3. Next came the stitching area. I had a great heap of colored felt left over from my garland job so I let the children choose their very own two colours to their heart. The hearts are all about 3.5″ broad.

4. When threading the needle, then double click the string and tie a knot in the end. In this manner, the thread won't ever fall from the needle. I showed them the whip stitch and I had been astonished at how fast they obtained it. I kept a watch on them just so both sides would not change too much, however they did all the stitching themselves and sensed SUPER proud. (This is an excellent YouTube tutorial for novices around the whip stitch.)

5. We left a small opening to spend the stuffing. I stitched the center shut for them.

6. When they completed sewing, I had a channel setup using the newspaper pinwheels (pre-made in the sake of time) along with watercolors. I didn't have a opportunity to take any pictures, but here's my pinwheels place at which you are able to see how entertaining it would be to paint 3D paper! (It requires four bits of paper to create you pinwheel, my newspaper size has been ″ x 4″.) We allow them dry a little and then punched a hole on very top.

7. Then, the women made two pom-poms each. We utilized pom-pom manufacturers, but you may use any system that is suitable for you.

8. The final step was the most entertaining -- putting it all together! I cut four pieces of chain; one for every pom-pom, one for your pinwheel and one to the center. (I used a bigger needle to have the yarn through the top of this sensed heart.) They strung beads on a number of the strings. I also brought some previous buttons that they loved. I then tied them on their hoop at varying lengths. I discovered some older, colored wire and that I made a hook in the top (which I fastened with all the hot glue gun).

Willing to hang up and capture those terrible dreams!

This craft has been such a strike, I have been doing it in birthday parties. Below are a few pictures from a recent celebration for an 8yr old. We had restricted space and had to get things done within one hourso I split up the table into taping and dye wrap on one side, and painting on the opposite. I cut the stitching part and rather had the children paint miniature puffy hearts and miniature pinwheels which I made ahead.

Making dream catchers was SO MUCH fun. I left one, too, and I'm hooked. There are many variants and possibilities!

No comments

Powered by Blogger.